Man who knifed five people in ‘reign of terror’ in north London detained in psychiatric hospital


A knifeman who stabbed five people over three days in a “reign of terror” must remain detained in a high-security psychiatric hospital, a judge has ruled.

Jason Kakaire, 31, carried out random stabbing attacks on four men and a woman in Edmonton, north London, in spring last year.

The four male victims suffered life-threatening injuries, and the female victim was left paralysed after being stabbed in the back so fiercely that the knife handle snapped and the blade was embedded in her.

The stabbings were all carried out near Kakaire’s home in Cameron Close, north London, in March and April last year.

Kakaire, who had been held in Broadmoor Hospital, denied five counts of attempted murder. However, he plead guilty to five charges of wounding with intent, and five charges of having a blade in public – which the prosecution accepted on the first day of his trial.

At a sentencing hearing at the Old Bailey on Friday, Judge Anne Molyneux ordered Kakaire to remain detained at Broadmoor under a hospital order, with restrictions, to “protect the public from serious harm”.

She said Kakaire had carried out a “reign of terror” that had caused “immeasurable” harm to his victims.

The judge described the stabbings as “five unprovoked attacks on lone people”. “This was a reign of terror causing devastation to many lives,” she said. “Four of your victims suffered life-threatening and life-changing injuries.

“Their lives and their families have been traumatised. The harm you have caused is in the highest category and is immeasurable.”

The judge added: “You walked the streets and targeted vulnerable victims. You stalked them and chose your moment before you stabbed them from behind and then ran away. You knew what you were doing was wrong.”

The judge also highlighted that Kakaire had two previous convictions for carrying a knife.

Before the sentencing, the court heard how a mother of two who was undergoing treatment for breast cancer will never be able to walk again, after she was knifed by Kakaire as she went for a walk near her home on the evening of March 30 last year.

Ayfer Bektas, from Edmonton, said she struggles to leave her home and cannot sleep, after suffering substantial injuries including a severed spinal cord.

“I am too fearful to venture outside unless I absolutely have to. I have been diagnosed with depression and anxiety,” she said in a victim impact statement. “My life has in one moment been turned upside down.”

Suleyman Karayapi, who was stabbed after leaving his house at 5am on April 2 to buy his son some medication, said he kept reliving the incident in his mind and had to be looked after by his heavily pregnant wife.

He said: “I am now living in fear. When I’m walking outside and someone walks past me, I feel frightened.”

The judge told the court that Kakaire’s life had been “overshadowed by mental illness” since his teenage years and he had been “plagued” by “paranoid ideas and auditory hallucinations”.

She said four doctors had concluded that Kakaire had “chronic, treatment-resistant paranoid schizophrenia”. She added that Kakaire had been hearing “threatening voices” that warned him he would be harmed.

“You believed you had been ordered to carry out the attack,” the judge said.

A pre-sentence report noted Kakaire was “clearly unwell” and that his offending was “directly attributable to his mental illness”.

Judge Molyneux said: “The court has no doubt that you are a dangerous offender. The court has no doubt that your sentence must protect the public from any further offending and must be one which ensures you remain detained unless and until it is considered safe for you to be released. The court concludes that a hospital order with a restriction order is necessary to protect the public from serious harm.”